Follow-up visits with Dr. Zelt Your regular visits in the postoperative period will be arranged by my secretary Natalie. These appointments allow us to review your healing and answer any questions you may. Following this schedule closely helps ensure your recovery is uneventful and you return to work and play as soon as possible.
Visit One - 3 to 6 Days Following Your Procedure
During your first postoperative visit I’ll remove the dressings and ensure your breasts and incisions are healing as expected. You’ll probably still be a little sore and stiff. You can begin showering normally.
For the next 4 weeks:
- Eat healthy foods
- Wash and shower normally
- If you have been given a the compression garment, wear it as instructed – 24 hours a day for the first week then just during the day until your next visit with Dr. Zelt
- If any skin tapes (Steri-strips) persist after the 2nd week postoperatively, you can remove them easily in the shower
- Begin a daily program of gentle massaging your chest area once your discomfort diminishes
- Avoid strenuous activities including sports and exercise programs that result in excessive breast movement
- Do not drink alcohol for 2 weeks
- Do not smoke for 4 weeks
Visit Two - 1 Month Postoperative
Your second visit 4 weeks postoperatively will determine if healing is progressing as expected. If there are no concerns you may return to your normal activities including strenuous activities and sports. Always begin slowly and progress weekly until you are pretty much back to normal by 2 to 3 months postoperatively.
For the next 3 to 4 months...
- Your activity should progress gradually back to a normal level of activity.
- Massaging your breasts will help them heal as soft and natural as possible. Massaging can be thought of as physiotherapy and is needed for the soft tissues to heal completely.
- Avoid returning to “normal” too soon. This stresses your tissues which have been resting since the time of your surgery. The best is to ease your way back into normal exercise and sporting activities.
Visit Three - 4 to 6 Months Postoperative
The majority of the healing has taken place by this time with regards to the position and form of your breasts. You will see steady improvements in your scars for almost 2 years!
We will decide together if your goals have been met and if any revisions are required. Minor alterations are performed under local anesthesia. More involved adjustments may require an
outpatient procedure under a light general anesthetic.
Visit Four - 1 Year Postoperative
Under most circumstances, this will be our last visit. We’ll ensure that our preoperative goals have been met and that you are satisfied with your result.
I very much encourage all my patients to return for regular visits at 1 to 2 year intervals to ensure proper healing determine if anything is out of order. Sometimes the early detection of a problem can lead to a more simple solution.
Need more info? Please contact us here.